What qualifies you to receive student finance?

Tjej och kille spelar gitarr
Whether you can receive student finance (student grants or loans or a study allowance) depends on a number of rules. Here are the most important requirements.

Study allowance - basic requirements

  • You must be age 16-20.
  • You must be studying full-time.
  • You must be attending an upper secondary school, an adult secondary education programme (Komvux), a national adult education programme, or certain other courses and studies that are run by the government, receive public subsidies or are supervised by the government.

Student grants and loans - basic requirements

  • You must meet the age requirements. You may recieve student aid until the year that you turn 56, but your right to take out a loan will be limited from the year that you turn 47. For upper secondary education, there is also a minimum age of 20.
  • You must be attending a school or course that qualifies you for student aid.
  • You must be studying at least half-time.
  • You must study for at least three weeks.

Education entry grant - basic requirements

  • You are 25-56 years of age.
  • You are unemployed and have been registered as a job seeker with the Public Employment Service for at least six months.
  • You have a short prior education and have an extensive need for education at the primary or upper-secondary level to be able to get a job.
  • You have not had student aid in the past three years.
  • You must study at least 50 per cent of full time for at least three weeks.

Are you a foreign citizen?

If you are a foreign citizen, you also need to meet the requirements to be entitled to Swedish student finance.

If you are a foreign citizen

Latest updated: Sep 19, 2017