Studying abroad

Are you going to study abroad? If you want to apply for student grants and loans, you will have to fill in special forms. You also are required to submit certain enclosures with your application.

Study allowance for upper secondary studies abroad

If you are planning to study abroad, you must apply for a study allowance on your own. If you want to apply for a supplementary allowance or an allowance for daily travel, you must fill in other special forms. You can apply for study allowance until the spring term the year you reach the age of 20.

For the 2016/17 academic year, your application must arrive by 30 June 2017 at the latest.

Application forms - in Swedish:

  • for study allowance - "Ansökan om studiehjälp för studier utanför Sverige" (form no. 5101M)
  • for supplementary allowance - "Ansökan om extra tillägg" (form no. 1601M)
  • for allowance for daily travel - "Ansökan om bidrag för dagliga resor för studier utanför Sverige" (form no. 5103M).

You find the application forms in the menu to the right.

Student grants and loans for studies abroad

When you apply for student grants and loans, you will have to use the service "Ansök om studiemedel" in Mina sidor (only in Swedish). You can log in using either an electronic ID or a personal code.

Submit certain enclosures with your application

In order for CSN to make a decision about your application for student grants and loans, you are required to submit certain enclosures with your application. Omitting to submit such enclosures will result in CSN not being able to make a decision. The type of enclosures required depends on the educational programme in question and whether you are to commence a new or continue an ongoing education.

Read below for more information about the enclosures required.

Proof of admission

If you are applying for student grants and loans for the first time, you must submit a proof of admission from the school abroad. The proof of admission should state your name and to what educational programme you have been admitted. It should also state if you are to study full-time or part-time and towards what degree. If you are attending single-subject courses, the proof of admission must state that the courses are degree courses of study and examination.

Language course verification

If you are attending a language course, you are not required to submit a proof of admission. Instead, you must submit a certificate of language studies. The school abroad should complete the CSN form titled "Intyg om språkkurs". This is available in two versions: form 5509W in English and form 5513W in Italian.

Student exchange programme verification

If you are attending a student exchange programme offered by your university in Sweden, you should contact the Swedish university to find out how your admission to the student exchange programme is being reported to CSN. If the university in Sweden has not reported the admission to CSN via the Ladok admission and documentation system, they must complete the CSN form 5524W "Intyg om deltagande i ett utbytesprogram". The completed form should then be enclosed with your application for student aid.

Study periods

If the proof of admission does not give details of the educational programme dates, you must submit such dates by way of a separate verification from the school abroad. Alternatively, you may submit a printout copy from the web site or course prospectus of the school abroad. The verification or printout copy should clearly state on what dates the educational programme including examination periods start and end, and provide details of academic holidays such Christmas and New Year.

For studies following the usual academic calendar of a university, CSN has for some countries predetermined the number of weeks that would normally entitle you to apply for student aid. The number of predetermined weeks only applies to educational programmes at the university level that comply with the ordinary academic calendar of the relevant country. If you do not have to abide by certain defined periods of study, you must submit an enclosure which states when your chosen educational programme starts and ends.

Proof of costs

When an application for student aid is meant to cover for example tuition fees and these are not clearly stated on the proof of admission, you should enclose evidence of such tuition fees from the educational institute with your application for student grants and loans.

Study achievement

If you have already once been granted student grants and loans for studies abroad, you must submit a copy of your academic study achievement from such studies.

If you are attending an educational programme that does not abide by a traditional grading system (e.g. credits, ECTS), you must submit a grading certificate or academic report from your most recent academic year.

Study plan

Some educational programmes do not follow a traditional grading system or course outline. If this is the case, you must submit a study plan with details of what courses you will study over the duration of the chosen educational programme. This applies for example to educational programmes in Germany and South America as well as arts and design courses.

Latest updated: Sep 19, 2017