Requirements for student grants and loans
In order for a student to receive student grants and loans, the school and the student need to fulfil certain requirements.
Requirements on the school or the course
In order to be eligible for student grants and loans, the school or the course must:
- be approved by CSN or The Swedish Council for Higher Education, UHR
- last at least
- 3 weeks within the EU/EEA and Switzerland, or
- 13 weeks full time outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland
- provide an award or a degree.
If the corresponding education is not approved for student grants and loans in Sweden, it will not be approved for student grants and loans outside of Sweden. CSN approves courses at upper secondary level and UHR approves higher education at post-secondary level. For both levels, the course must be approved by the education authorities in the country of study to be approved for Swedish student grants and loans.
Most language courses abroad are considered equal to upper secondary level. This means that only students over 20 years can receive student grants and loans when taking a language course abroad. For courses outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland, the following applies:
- the course needs to last at least 13 weeks
- the course must be full-time
- the language must have official status in the country of study.
Courses within the EU/EEA or Switzerland must be at least three weeks on half-time mode and can be taken in any language. Students younger than 20 years attending courses equal to upper secondary level may be entitled tofrom CSN.
Education at primary level
Education at primary level abroad does not qualify for student finance.
Requirements on the student
Students must meet certain basic requirements to receive student grants and loans for studies abroad. A student must:
- be admitted unconditionally to an approved school or course
- have lived in Sweden for at least two consecutive years during the last five years before the studies
- have successfully completed previous studies with student grants and loans from CSN
- be under 57 years
- be a Swedish citizen, but there are exceptions.
Read more about
If the student has previously taken student loans, he or she must have made earlier repayments of loans to CSN.