Jump to content

Study allowance
– grants for studies in upper secondary school in Sweden

When you are studying full-time at upper secondary school and have reached the age of 16, you can recent a student grant from CSN. You will receive SEK 1,250 a month, and this is usually paid out over ten months – from September to June. At most, you can receive the student grant until the spring semester of the year you turn 20.

Information in English and other languages

We provide information about our various forms of grants and loans in different languages. Quite a lot of information has been translated into English. The most important information has been translated into other languages, such as Arabic, Spanish, etc.

Student grant

The student grant is money that you receive, but in order to be entitled to it, you must be studying full-time. In the event of invalid absence, your student grant may be withdrawn. You may also need to pay back money if you have received a grant you were not entitled to because you were skipping school.

Once you turn 18, you will receive your student grant yourself. Until then, we will usually pay it out to the guardian who last received the child allowance for you. At most, you can receive student grants until the spring semester of the year you turn 20.

More grants you can apply for

There are also three other grants that you can apply for at CSN during your time at upper secondary school.

Supplementary allowance

If your family has an income of less than SEK 125,000 per year before tax, you can apply for a grant known as supplementary allowance. The amount of money you can receive depends on your family’s level of income and wealth during the current academic year (1 July–30 June).

Boarding supplement

If you are studying at an independent upper secondary school or folk high school and need to live in a different location during your study period, you can apply for a grant from CSN known as a boarding supplement. In this case, the programme and the national specialisation you are going to study must not be available in your home town. The amount you can receive depends on the distance between your home and the school you are attending.

If you are studying at a municipal upper secondary school, you can apply for travel and lodging assistance from your home municipality.

Apprenticeship allowance

If you are attending an upper secondary apprenticeship programme or apprenticeship-related course within an introductory programme where part of the training is based in a workplace, you can apply for a grant for meals and travel. The grant is known as an apprenticeship allowance and totals SEK 1,000 per month during the time you are studying.

Requirements and conditions

Various requirements and conditions must be satisfied in order for you to be entitled to study allowance.

  • The training you will be attending must be at upper secondary level and grant the entitlement to study allowance.
  • You must be studying full-time.
  • At most, you can receive study allowance until the spring semester of the year you turn 20. You can receive a student grant at the earliest from the quarter after you turn 16. For the other grants, there is no lower age limit.
  • You cannot receive study allowance at the same time as receiving activity support, development benefit or introduction benefit.

Additional terms and conditions for foreign citizens

If you are a foreign citizen, you also need to satisfy special conditions in order to be entitled to Swedish student finance. Different rules apply depending on whether you are a citizen of a country within or outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

If you have a permanent residence permit and live in Sweden, you will usually be entitled to Swedish student finance.

If you have received a temporary residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency because you have refugee status or similar, you are also usually entitled to Swedish student finance. This also applies if you have received a residence permit according to the Upper Secondary School Act.

Study in Sweden as a foreign citizen

How does Brexit affect my student finance?


You do not need to apply for a student grant if you are going to study in Sweden. In this case, we will receive the information we need from your school.

If you are a foreign national, we must also assess if you are entitled to Swedish student finance. We usually get the information we need from the Swedish Migration Agency, but in some cases, you need to submit a form. If this applies to you, we will send you the form. This is a change that applies from the academic year 2021/22, previously all foreign nationals had to send in a form.

If you would like to receive a student grant but don't have a Swedish personal identity number you need to contact us.

Everyone needs to apply for the other grants each academic year.

Application forms can be found under Blanketter (available in Swedish only). They are often available at the school as well.


The student grant is paid out on the last weekday of the month. You will not receive any payments during July and August.

When you turn 16 determines when the first payment will be made. If your birthday falls during the period January to June, you will receive the first payment in September, once you have started at upper secondary school. If your birthday falls in July, August or September, you will receive the first payment in October, and if you turn 16 later in the year, you will receive the first payment in January of the following year.

Until you turn 18, your guardian will normally receive the payments from CSN. Once you have turned 18, you will receive the payments yourself. In order for us to know which account we should pay the money into, you must register your account with Swedbank’s account register. Swedbank is responsible for managing CSN’s payments, but you do not need to have an account with them.

Swedbank’s account register

In the event of invalid absence

If you are away from school without a valid reason, your student grant may be withdrawn. If you receive a boarding supplement, supplementary allowance or apprenticeship allowance from CSN, you will also lose these allowances. Payments that your family receives from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) may also be affected, such as housing allowance or the child allowance supplement.

What is counted as skipping school?

If you have more than four hours of invalid absence during a month, the school must notify this to CSN. In this event, we will stop your payments.

The school is responsible for determining what is considered to be skipping school. For example, this might entail repeated absences, repeated late arrivals or leaving lessons too early. It might also relate to holiday that has not been approved by the school.

You may need to pay back allowances you have received

Once you have stopped skipping school and are studying full-time, you will once again be entitled to receive the student grant.. However, it is not certain that the payments will start right away, because we may occasionally have paid out money relating to the period when you were skipping school, before we received the report from the school. In this case, you will need to pay back the money.

In the first instance, we deduct the money from your forthcoming payments. If this is not enough, for example if it is at the end of the academic year, you will instead receive a recovery order and a paying-in slip. If you receive a recovery order, it is important for you to pay this. If you do not pay, your debt may eventually end up with the Enforcement Authority. In this case, there will be additional charges that you need to pay and the debt will increase. This may also result in you receiving a record of non-payment, in which case you may find it difficult to e.g. take out a mobile phone subscription or obtain a rental contract.

No payment in June

When you have been skipping school, you may not receive the June payment either. This is an extra payment that you receive if you have been studying full-time throughout the academic year.

Appealing against a decision by CSN

If you believe that CSN has reached an incorrect decision, you can appeal against it. CSN must be in receipt of your appeal within three weeks from the date on which you were notified the decision.

How to appeal against a decision

Icon for updated Updated: 2021-07-01
Did this page help you?