Jump to content


How to apply for student support – For those about to study in Sweden

Are you about to start a study programme? Nice! Studying is an opportunity for personal development and can hopefully bring you one step closer to the job you want. Here is a quick rundown of what you need to do to receive student support.

Are you going to upper-secondary school?

Up to and including the first half of the year during which you turn 20, you will receive study allowance instead. This means you should not apply for student aid.

Six quick steps – from application to payment

1. See how much you can apply for in grants and loans

Here you can see how much you can apply for in grants and loans when studying at a Swedish school. The chart shows how much you can receive for one week and for four weeks.

Amount in student aid for full-time studies with full student loan, 2022

Student aid for 1 week, SEK

Student aid for 4 weeks, SEK*










* One payout normally covers four weeks. The first and last payment of the semester might vary in size.

2. Apply for student support on My Pages

(e-service only available in Swedish)

Watch the video on how to apply for student aid on My Pages.

Application tips

  • Find out how many credits your studies will cover. If you are going to study at an adult education programme at upper-secondary level (Komvux), you also need to know the dates on which your studies will begin and end.
  • Feel free to apply for a longer period of time, such as for both the autumn and spring semester.
  • You do not need to submit proof of admission, we receive that data from your school. Enclosing attachments prolongs processing time.

3. Make sure the decision is correct

Most people receive their CSN decision within a week, but it can sometimes take longer. One you receive your decision, make sure the information is correct.

See our processing times (in Swedish)

4. Notify us of the account you want the money deposited to

In order for the money to be deposited into your account, you need to inform us of which bank you use and your account number. Swedbank administers CSN payments, so submit your application to their account register.

Register account with Swedbank’s account register

5. Register for your courses and submit a study assurance document once your studies start

In order for you to start receiving payments, you need to do two things:

  1. Register for the courses you are taking. This is done at your school. The school will then notify CSN that you have begun your studies.
  2. Submit a study assurance document to CSN. This is like giving the OK that the information in the decision matches your study plans. You can submit your study assurance on My Pages when you begin studying.

More information about study assurance (in Swedish)

6. That is all!

You will receive the first payment of the semester when you start studying (if you have gone through the previously listed steps). We will then pay out your money on the 25th of each month.

If you have income - the income limit has been removed during 2021

The income limit has been temporarily removed for students with grants and loans (studiemedel) during 2020 until the end of 2021. This means that your income during this period will not affect the grant and loan amounts that you are entitled to. This includes income you receive from capital and business operations.

Keep in mind that the income limit will apply as normal from 1 January 2022. If you are working in December and get your wages at the end of Januari 2022, this may therefore affect your right to grants and loans for 2022.

More information about terms and conditions and payments

Here you will find more information about student aid, such as

  • the requirements for receiving student aid
  • when the payments are made
  • when your repayment starts.

Student aid for those about to study in Sweden

Important aspects to keep in mind when studying

We know that sometimes, things happen in life and things do not turn out as intended. That is why we also want to provide you with some tips on things to keep in mind while studying, so that you do not run into any trouble with your student aid.

  • If you fall ill and are unable to study – send a notification of illness to Försäkringskassan! If they approve the sickness period, you will retain your student aid, the requirements concerning academic results is lowered, and the weeks with student aid are not counted as used. In other words, loads of benefits to you! The same applies if you need to stay home to care for a sick child; however, this is reported to CSN.
  • If you interrupt your studies on a course or attain fewer credits than planned, you must notify CSN of this. We will then adjust your student aid so that you are paid the correct amount. This helps you avoid demands for recovery of non-entitled student finance and other student aid-related problems.

If something happens or changes (in Swedish)

Did this page help you?