session uppdatera gms varning förnya
Vill du stanna kvar på sidan?
Du har varit inaktiv i en längre stund och kommer att bli utloggad om du inte väljer att stanna kvar på sidan.
Automatisk utloggning sker om cirka
Stanna kvar på sidan
Problem med nätverket
Inget internet. Kontrollera din nätverksanslutning.
Tillfälligt tekniskt fel

Student grants and loans for studies in Sweden

Student grants and loans are intended for students who are studying at e.g. university college, university or vocational college. If you are over the age of 20, you can also apply for student grants and loans for studies at compulsory and upper secondary level at Komvux (adult education college) or folk high school.

The loan you must pay back. You can choose to apply solely for the grant, if you do not want to take out a loan. The loan has a low interest rate and does not require any security, and you are able to repay it over a long period. In 2024, the interest rate is 1,23 percent.

Size of grants and loans you can receive

The size of the grants and student loans you can receive depends e.g. on

  • your rate of study (full-time or part-time)
  • the number of weeks you are studying for
  • the size of your income.
Grants and student loans, 2024 (examples for different numbers of weeks)

1 week, SEK4 weeks, SEK20 weeks, SEK
Student loan2,2929,16845,840

Other grants and loans that you can apply for

Some students can receive more grants or borrow more money.

  • If you have custody of children under the age of 18, you can apply for extra child allowance.
  • If you have worked in the past and received a certain minimum income, you can apply for a supplementary loan. You can receive this as of the year you turn 25.
  • If you are studying at compulsory or upper secondary level and satisfy certain conditions, you may receive an increased grant element in your student aid. You can also receive this if you are studying on a complementary educational programme leading to a subject teacher’s degree. When you apply for student grants and loans, CSN checks whether you are entitled to the increased grant, so you do not need to apply for it.
  • If you have additional costs associated with your studies, you can in certain cases apply for an additional loan. For example, you may have costs for double housing or for certain trips.
Student finance amount for studies in Sweden 2024

Student finance with basic grants, for 1 week

1 week

Grant, SEK

Loan, SEK

Total, SEK





Part-time 75%




Part-time 50%




Student finance with basic grants, for 4 weeks

4 weeks

Grant, SEK

Loan, SEK

Total, SEK





Part-time 75%




Part-time 50%




Student finance with increased grants, for 1 week

1 week

Grant, SEK

Loan, SEK

Total, SEK





Part-time 75%




Part-time 50%

1, 100



Student finance with increased grants, for 4 weeks

4 weeks

Grant; SEK

Loan, SEK

Total, SEK





Part-time 75%




Part-time 50%




Extra child allowance, per week

1 child

2 children

3 children

4 children


SEK 189

SEK 309

SEK 372

SEK 435

Part-time 75%

SEK 143

SEK 234

SEK 279

SEK 324

Part-time 50%

SEK 91

SEK 154

SEK 188

SEK 222

Supplementary loan

1 week, SEK

4 weeks, SEK




Part-time 75%



Part-time 50%



If you are studying with student finance 2024, you must have made at least SEK 237,795 during 2023.

Additional loan

How much you are able to borrow depends on the additional costs you have accrued.

If your income exceeds the income limit

You may receive income up to a certain amount without your student grants and loans being affected. The income limit is calculated per calendar half-year, January-June or July-December. If your income exceeds the income limit, you are not entitled to the same level of grants and loans.

The income limit depends on how many weeks you are studying for and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. For example, if you are going to studying full-time with student grants and loans for 20 weeks in a calendar half-year, the income limit is SEK 110,995. You can see your income limit in the decision you get from CSN.

Income limit per six-month-period

Number of weeks


Part-time 75%

Part-time 50%


SEK 194,281

SEK 201,145

SEK 208,096


SEK 166,519

SEK 180,346

SEK 194,229


SEK 138,757

SEK 159,546

SEK 180,363


SEK 110,995

SEK 138,746

SEK 166,496


SEK 77,681

SEK 113,786

SEK 149,856

Requirements and conditions

Various requirements and conditions must be satisfied in order for you to be entitled to student aid.

  • The education you will be attending must grant the entitlement to student finance.
  • You must be registered on your courses.
  • Your studies must be at least 50 percent of full-time and must last for at least three weeks.
  • You must be below the age of 60. The entitlement to borrow decreases from the year you turn 51.
  • You may not receive certain other benefits at the same time as receiving student grants and loans, such as activity support, sickness benefit and introduction benefit.
  • You can only receive student grants and loans for a limited amount of time. The length of time depends on the education level for which you are studying:
    • University college, university or some other post-secondary education: a maximum of 240 weeks
    • Upper secondary level: a maximum of 80 or 120 weeks, depending on your previous education
    • Compulsory school level: a maximum of 40, 80 or 100 weeks, depending on your previous education and what you are studying.
  • If you have previously studied with student grants and loans or an education entry grant, you must have satisfied the requirements as regards credits in order to receive new student grants and loans. The requirements regarding credits vary depending on which course you are studying.
  • If you have unpaid annual fees or demands for more than one period, you may not receive student grants and loan. Contact CSN for more information.
  • If you are going to study abroad, special rules apply.

The right to Swedish student finance for foreign citizens

If you are a foreign citizen, you also need to satisfy special conditions in order to be entitled to Swedish student finance. If you have a permanent residence permit and live in Sweden, you will usually be entitled to Swedish student finance.

If you have received a temporary residence permit from the Swedish Migration Agency because you have refugee status or similar, you are also usually entitled to Swedish student finance.

In addition, different rules apply depending on whether you are a citizen of a country within or outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

Swedish student finance for studies in Sweden, for foreign nationals

How does Brexit affect my student finance?

Information for persons arriving to Sweden from Ukraine

People who have left Ukraine and arrived in Sweden can stay in Sweden without a permit or entry visa for 90 days, but they are then not entitled to student aid.

Ukrainian citizens who receive a residence permit in Sweden in accordance with the EU´s Temporary Protection Directive are not entitled to student aid from the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN). This is because according to the Social Insurance Code (socialförsäkringsbalken) Ukrainian citizens should not be considered to be resident here.

Ukrainian citizens who apply for asylum and are granted refugee status in Sweden may be entitled to Swedish student aid for studies.

Application, study assurance and payment

To apply for study support, this is what you will need to do:

  1. Prepare your application. Find out your study times, consider how much you need to borrow and calculate your income over your study period.
  2. Submit an application in Mina sidor (My Pages). Log in with e-ID, which is the fastest method.
  3. When you receive your decision from CSN, make sure everything is correct. If anything is wrong, contact CSN.
  4. If you have not previously received student finance or if more than a year has passed since you last received such finance, you should register your bank account details with Swedbank’s account register. We can then pay the money out directly to your account. Your account can be in any Swedish bank.
  5. In conjunction with the start of the semester – submit a study assurance to CSN in which you certify that you are going to be studying as stated in the decision. You can normally submit your study assurance in Mina sidor or in CSN’s app.
  6. Register for your courses. You can do this at your school.

You will receive the first payment for the semester at the time when you start studying. You will then receive the payment on the 25th of the month, in advance for each month you are studying. If this is a weekend or a public holiday, you will receive the funds on the last weekday before this date.

You can see your payments in Mina sidor. You will normally receive student grants and loans for four weeks each time you receive a payment from CSN.

Provide notification if you become ill or if anything changes

If anything happens or changes during your period of study, it is important for you to provide notification of the change so that you receive the right amount. Changes might include you e.g.

  • interrupting your studies
  • studying for fewer credits than you had planned
  • selling a property and receiving income above the free amount.

If you are a foreign citizen, you also have to notify CSN in the event e.g. of any changes to your residence permit, or in the event you or a person you are related to should stop working or have a reduction in working hours.

You can submit a change notification in Mina sidor or contact us in some other way. If you fail to report changes and this results in you being paid more than you are entitled to, you will have to pay the additional funds back. We will check the information you have provided to CSN with the school’s data.

If you or your child becomes ill

It is also important to submit notification if you become ill or if you need to be at home to care for a sick child. In this situation, you may keep your student grants and loans without these weeks being counted as having been used, and requirement regarding awarded credits is also reduced. Report illness to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) and care of a child to CSN.

Repaying the student loan

If you choose to borrow money from CSN, you will have to repay the loan. You will receive a payment plan when it is time to start making repayments.

If this is the first time you have taken out a student loan, you will start repaying the loan at the earliest six months after receiving the student aid. If you have studied before and start studying again, you will not receive any such grace period.

The amount you have to pay each year depends e.g. on

  • how much you have borrowed
  • the length of time you are going to be repaying your loan
  • the interest rate.

You can take a maximum of 25 years to repay your loan, and it must be fully repaid by the time you turn 64. You will usually pay a little less at the beginning and more at the end. Of course, you can repay the loan faster if you want.

If you are experiencing difficulty with your repayments, for example because your income decreases, you can apply to pay back less for a certain period of time. CSN will then assess your application and determine whether you are entitled to pay less.

Remember to make sure that CSN always has your correct address details. This is a requirement.

Repaying the student loan

If you have received a demand

If you have received money from CSN that you were not entitled to, you have to pay it back. In this case, you will receive a demand.

If you have received a demand

Appealing against a decision by CSN

If you believe that CSN has reached an incorrect decision, you can appeal against it. CSN must be in receipt of your appeal within three weeks from the date on which you were notified the decision.

How to appeal against a decision

Updated: 2024-01-01